I have over 25 years of dispute-resolution experience, and have litigated numerous matters as lead counsel through trials and appeals. I am an experienced trial attorney, in both bench and jury trials.
I work primarily in King County Superior Court, but also regularly handle matters in Snohomish, Pierce, Thurston, and Kitsap counties, and in the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington (federal court).
Representative cases include:
- Issa v. Port of Kingston, Kitsap County Superior Court (2017). Represented citizen in lawsuit against Washington Port District for violation of the Washington Public Records Act. Following mediation, Port settled for $252,000.
- Scales v. Washington Public Disclosure Commission, U.S. District Court, W.D. Wash. (2016). Represented political candidate in lawsuit against Washington State Public Disclosure Commission (PDC), asserting that PDC rules governing candidate advertising violated First Amendment. PDC stipulated to a money judgment of $145,000, and modified its rules.
- Brewster v. Port of Kingston, Kitsap County Superior Court (2016). Represented citizen in suit against Port for violation of the Public Records Act. Following contested hearing, Court entered judgment in the amount of $166,000.
- KMH Ventures, Inc. v. JEM Home Solutions, Inc., King County Superior Court (2015) (voluntary arbitration) Represented joint venturer in action to recover proceeds from real estate investment. Prevailed in arbitration, and won a judgment for attorney fees against opposing party.
- Transiplex v. Port of Seattle, 156 Wn. App. 1022 (2010). Represented Port in litigation concerning parking allocations for cargo aircraft. Prevailed on summary judgment and subsequent appeal.
- Choi, et al. v. Sung, et al., 154 Wn. App. 303 (2010). Represented national and local church councils in dispute with former minister over ownership of church property. Won judgment for possession and damages following 10-day trial in Pierce County Superior Court. Preserved judgment through state court appeals, and ultimate petition for certiorari to the United States Supreme Court.
- Lowery v. CapitalRE Corp., Santa Clara (CA) County Superior Court (2007). Represented real estate investors against fraud claims arising from series of failed transactions in California. Following 9-day bench trial, court dismissed all claims against clients, and awarded substantial damages on counterclaims for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Branson v. Port of Seattle, 152 Wn.2d 862 (2004). Represented Port in defense of asserted class action lawsuit challenging rental car concession fees. Won summary judgment dismissing all claims, and successfully defended judgment on appeal.
- Aguirre v. AT&T Wireless Services, Inc., 118 Wn. App. 236 (2003). Represented wireless carrier in successful appeal of order awarding post-judgment interest on class action settlement agreement.
- Go2Net, Inc. v. C I Host, Inc., 115 Wn. App. 73 (2003). Represented internet content provider in action to collect on advertising contracts. Won favorable appellate court decision, which is frequently cited by Washington courts in resolving summary judgment motions.